Monday 24 March 2014

Martin Creed, Take 2

As I rather suspected, the title of Martin Creed's exhibition - "What's the point of it?" - sums up my feelings after visiting it.

My earlier post on this topic covers some of the more interesting stuff.  I liked:

  • The giant beam with "Mother" in neon on it, rotating at a height of 2 metres, so that you can feel the draught as it passes overhead. I think I got the message about the influence exerted by mothers.
  • The "half the air in a given space" exhibit - a room full of white balloons. It was fun, it reminded me of those rooms full of balls that kids play in at Ikea but I didn't understand the point of it and I'm sure the amount of human hair stuck to some of the balloons might have irked some people.
  • The farting sound, because I'm juvenile.
That's about it.  

I was puzzled by a lot of the exhibits:
  • An A4 sheet of paper screwed up into a ball
  • Stacks of old cardboard boxes, descending in size
  • Similar stacks of wood - just standard lengths as you'd buy from a wood yard
  • A door that opens and closes
And so on.

Overall, I can't help wondering how people like Creed make a living.  


No comments:

Post a Comment